The Melrose Directory Ltd is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
About this policy
This policy details what personal information we collect and why we collect it. It explains how we use your information during the course of providing services to you, under what situations we may disclose your personal information to others, how we keep your information safe as well as how you can access and update your information.
About The Melrose Directory
The Melrose Directory Ltd is a self-catering holiday lettings agency. Our registered address is The Melrose Directory, Kings Parade, Lower Coombe Street, Croydon Surrey, United Kingdom, CR0 1AA.
By contacting us, using our services or visiting our website, which is owned and controlled by us, you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy unless you inform us otherwise.
This Policy (together with our Terms and Conditions Policy) sets out the grounds on which we will process any personal data we collect from you or that you provide to us. Please read the following carefully to understand how we will treat your Personal Data.
Our Data Protection Principles
We promise to follow these data protection principles:
- Processing is lawful, fair, transparent. Our Processing activities have lawful grounds. We always consider your rights before Processing Personal Data. We will provide you information regarding Processing upon request.
- Processing is limited to the purpose. Our Processing activities fit the purpose for which Personal Data was gathered.
- Processing is done with minimal data. We only gather and Process the minimal amount of Personal Data required for any purpose.
- Processing is limited within a time period. We will not store your personal data for longer than needed.
- We will do our best to ensure the accuracy of data.
- We will do our best to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of data.
Your (the Data Subjects) Rights
You have the following rights:
- Right to information – meaning you have to right to know whether your Personal Data is being processed; what data is gathered, from where it is obtained and why and by whom it is processed.
- Right to access – meaning you have the right to access the data collected from/about you. This includes your right to request and obtain a copy of your Personal Data gathered.
- Right to rectification – meaning you have the right to request rectification or erasure of your Personal Data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – meaning in certain circumstances you can request for your Personal Data to be erased from our records.
- Right to restrict processing – meaning where certain conditions apply, you have the right to restrict the Processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to object to processing – meaning in certain cases you have the right to object to Processing of your Personal Data, for example in the case of direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated Processing – meaning you have the right to object to automated Processing, including profiling; and not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated Processing. This right you can exercise whenever there is an outcome of the profiling that produces legal effects concerning or significantly affecting you.
- Right to data portability – you have the right to obtain your Personal Data in a machine-readable format or if it is feasible, as a direct transfer from one Processor to another.
- Right to lodge a complaint – in the event that we refuse your request under the Rights of Access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. If you are not satisfied with the way your request has been handled please contact us.
- Right for the help of supervisory authority – meaning you have the right for the help of a supervisory authority and the right for other legal remedies such as claiming damages.
- Right to withdraw consent – you have the right to withdraw any given consent for Processing of your Personal Data.
Information we collect from you
- We only collect personal information about you where it is completely necessary or you have consented, and we will ensure that we only collect information that we need.
- We will not send you marketing material unless you have given us permission to do so.
- We will protect your personal information with an appropriate combination of technical and organisational measures.
- If you have any questions about how we process your information, please go to the “Contact Us” section below.
- If you have a complaint, please see the complaints section, below.
Information we collect about you
When registering, we will collect your user login information and email address.
When becoming an advertiser, we will collect further contact details from you, including your name, title (Mr, Mrs, etc.), address and telephone number(s).
When completing an advert, we will also collect your advertised property details, including its address and names of any contact person or managing agent.
The legal basis for this processing is consent, namely providing you with the website services you have requested; those services being your user website registration/advertiser registration, advert and any orders placed via the website. To help prevent fraud, we may also require other personal information when you place an advert in order that we can verify your identity as well as the property you wish to advertise.
When making a property enquiry, we will collect your name, email address, telephone number, IP address and a copy of the enquiry contents.
The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely being able to send occasional marketing emails to you, with details of other holiday properties that you may be interested in.
If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence for the purposes of communicating with you and for our record-keeping. The legal basis for this processing is to be able to contact you to help you to register or to advertise a holiday property or to answer a question related to our website advertising service.
Other information to help us provide you with improved services. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interest in the proper administration of our website, business and accounting procedures and improving the services we provide to you.
We have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard the information we collect. Any personal information is kept private and securely stored until a time it is no longer needed, or until you request that we remove it from our records.
How we use your information
The Melrose Directory Ltd uses the information we collect about you for the following general purposes: to provide you with the products and services you request; to provide you with updates; to manage your account, including processing payments; to communicate with you in general; to respond to your questions and comments; to measure interest in and improve our products, services, and website; to notify you about special offers and products or services available from us that we think may be of interest to you; to otherwise customise your experience with the Website; to solicit information from you, including through surveys; to resolve disputes, collect fees, or troubleshoot problems; to prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities; to enforce our Terms and Conditions; and as otherwise described to you at the point of collection.
If you have signed up as an Advertiser, we will send you email messages at the email address you provide to us.
Who we share your information with
We also may share your information if we believe, in our sole discretion, that such disclosure is necessary…
- To comply with legitimate and enforceable court orders or other legal processes; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims, or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. For example, we may tell our Advertisers the number of visitors our Website receives or the most popular holiday destinations. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest.
Disclosure of your personal data to third parties
We will disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we are legally obligated to disclose or share your Personal Data, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions (http://www.themelrosedirectory.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/) and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of The Melrose Directory, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection.
Access to your information
You have the right to access any data that relates to you, to delete it, and to object to its use for marketing. You can also check, correct and update your information (for instance, if you change address or email address). To do this, contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your right to withdraw consent
To the extent that the legal basis we are relying on for processing your Personal Data is consent, you are entitled to withdraw that consent at any time. Withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of processing before the withdrawal.
Important Notice: If you have a live advert with us and it has a remaining period of advertising and you withdraw consent or ask us to restrict the processing of your personal data, any live adverts will NOT be able to continue to be advertised as this breaks the Terms and Conditions of advertising with us i.e. – we will be unable to perform one or more of the following requisite procedures:
- forward property enquiries to you which are made via your advert contact form.
- communicate with you regarding your advert expiration or renewal notification.
- communicate important news to you about your advert, or about the website.
If you choose to withdraw consent we will place your advert in an offline status and will attempt to advise you accordingly, however at all times, we will adhere to your request to withdraw consent.
External/Third party links
You have the right to request a copy of the information we hold about you.
If you do request a copy of the information we hold about you, we will provide you with this information within a month of receiving your request and of verifying your identity.
We work hard to ensure that your personal information is treated safely and securely. However, in the unlikely event of a complaint, please write, in the first instance, to The Data Protection Officer at The Melrose Directory Ltd by email to email@example.com or to The Melrose Directory, Kings Parade, Lower Coombe Street, Croydon Surrey, United Kingdom, CR0 1AA.
If you are still unhappy with how we have collected or used your data, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
The ICO is the UK’s independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals. Further information about your right to privacy is available on the ICO’s website.
Telephone Call Recording and Monitoring
Telephone calls to and from The Melrose Directory Ltd may be recorded for the following purposes:
- To monitor our customer service for quality or compliance reasons
- To check the accuracy of the information you have given us
- For fraud prevention purposes
- To provide team training